Customer Rules of Conduct
Welcome to Calvert Library. Please follow these basic rules of courtesy and responsibility while in the library. These rules are posted for the comfort and protection of all who use the facilities of the public library. They will be courteously but firmly enforced by library staff. We ask your cooperation in maintaining an environment that encourages study and enjoyment. Respect the use of the library by others. Library staff and customers are expected to treat one another with mutual courtesy and respect. Threatening speech, harassment of others or disruptive behavior will not be tolerated and may result in the police being notified. Library staff members have the authority to maintain order, to ensure the safety of staff and customers, and to enforce these and other regulations. Directions given by library staff must be followed.
- LIBRARY RESOURCES are to be shared. Customers are responsible for all materials and equipment used in the library. All computer customers must comply with our computer policy.
- LIBRARY PROPERTY must be respected. Feet must not be placed on chairs or tables. Do not run, push, or climb.
- CHILDREN under the age of 8 must be supervised at all times in the library by a responsible person who is at least 13 years old. Librarians are not responsible for unattended children. Parents/guardians/caregivers are expected to see that their children follow the library rules. Customers must pick up their children by library closing time.
- SNACKS and BEVERAGES with sturdy lids are allowed in most areas of the library. In Prince Frederick, meals may be eaten in the café.
- NOISE from conversation, electronic devices, or other sources that inconveniences others is not allowed. Obscene language is not permitted.
- SMOKING, the use of tobacco products and e-cigarettes/ vaporizers is not allowed inside the building or on the sidewalks leading to library entrances.
- SERVICE ANIMALS are welcome. Other animals are not permitted in the library, except as allowed at library-approved events.
- LYING DOWN or SLEEPING is not permitted.
- BATHING and changing clothes is not permitted in the library restrooms.
- SOLICITING is not permitted.
- APPROPRIATE HYGIENE & ATTIRE is required. Shoes and shirts must be worn. Bathing suits are not permitted. Customers whose bodily hygiene is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other persons shall be required to leave the building.
- EXTENDED CONVERSATION with library staff beyond that required for library business is prohibited.
- SECURITY in public places is everyone’s responsibility. Please report any unusual occurrences to a librarian. Belongings may not be left unattended or stored in the library.
Customers who violate these rules may be asked to leave the library. Customers who repeatedly disregard the library’s rules may have their library privileges revoked and be banned for a specific period of time. Anyone wishing to appeal such an exclusion may submit an appeal in writing to the Library Director.
Amended and Approved by the Board of Library Trustees, December 9, 2014